Easy Vegan Recipes: Semi-homemade Spaghetti
In celebration of the upcoming launch of book, 'The 30 Day Vegan Challenge: An Approachable, Easy-to-follow Recipe Guidebook for New Vegans', we decided to share the recipe we feature on the cover: our Semi-Homemade Spaghetti.
Isn't it beautiful?
This recipe uses jarred marinara spaghetti sauce as a base that we spruce up with canned tomatoes, fresh onions and garlic, herbs and more. It takes your pasta to the next level and it couldn't be easier.
• 1 Jar of your favorite Marinara. I really like the Barilla brand.
• 1 Box of your favorite Pasta. I love a good chewy linguine, but literally anything works here. There are veggie or chickpea-based pastas on the market that could give you an extra dose of nutrients and protein if you’re into that.
• 1 Onion, white or red.
• 2 Tablespoon Garlic, minced or fresh. Whatever you have the energy for.
• 1 Tablespoon Salt
• ½ Teaspoon Pepper
• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 1 15oz jar of Stewed Diced Italian Tomatoes
• 1 Teaspoon of Thyme
1. Put a big pot of salted water on to boil.
2. Chop the onion into small pieces. Not quite minced, but smaller chunks.
3. Brown the onions in the olive oil until fragrant over medium heat. They’ll start to smell delectable and be a light brown color.
4. Add the garlic once the onions are about done and stir it around a bit. It will brown pretty quickly.
5. Add the canned tomatoes and jarred marinara.
6. Stir in the salt, pepper, thyme and reduce heat to low so that the flavors can marry together.
7. By now, your water should be boiling. Add the pasta and cook according to directions on the box until al dente. I like it to be on the chewy side because it will keep cooking once you add the pasta to the sauce.
8. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the sauce. Fully coat pasta in the sauce. Enjoy!
Do you want more easy vegan recipes like this one?
This exact recipe and 30+ more recipes is available in our book. Download 'The 30 Day Vegan Challenge: An Approachable, Easy-to-follow Recipe Guidebook for New Vegans'. It is chock full of easy vegan recipes like this one, plus lots of tips for transitioning to veganism. It also includes a full meal plan for the 30-day challenge.